BEST Module 2: Orienting Learners
Bringing Education & Service Together (BEST) is an interdisciplinary service learning project for resident physicians.
- Faculty Guide - Module 2 - Orienting Learners
- Handouts - Module 2 - Orienting Learners
- Lesson Plan - Module 2 - Orienting Learners
- Slides - Module 2 - Orienting Learners
By the end of this module, residents will be able to:
- Orient a medical student or intern to a new rotation.
- Clarify goals for a session.
- Explain how learner balances service vs. learning goals.
The ORIENT Approach to a New Rotation
- Clarify mutual goals for this orientation session: what are the learner’s expectations today?
- Discuss mutual goals and expectations for the rotation.
- Start with the learner: What does s/he hope to get out of this rotation? Explore learner’s concerns and interests in detail.
- What are his or her learning goals?
- Explain learner’s role in patient care and other teamwork.
- Format for supervision and teaching.
- Expectations regarding charting.
- Where and when learner will receive feedback.
- Call arrangements.
- Anything else she or he should know about your particular institution.
- How can the learner best balance service vs. learning goals during the rotation?
- Model self-directed learning: ask learner to define his or her own learning goals and how s/he can best achieve them.
- Offer suggestions for reading and learning during the rotation (books, articles, online resources, consultants).
- What questions does the learner have?
- Is there anything else going on that you might help with (e.g., any special needs or concerns)?
Timing of follow-up session
- Any final questions or comments?
- When would learner prefer to meet again to follow up on mutual goals for the rotation?